Thursday, December 10, 2009

Oh how I love these little fellows




The opossum has its own unique niche in nature, I respect them for their will to survive and their quiet way of life. I've met hundreds and can recall almost each one and his or her story. These little brothers and a sister were found in a very tall flower pot, starving to death and extremely dehydrated. I couldn't believe they made it through the night...this is the morning after I found them and bathed them and got some fluids into them. I am grateful for the opportunities I have to give these little guys a boost in an often harsh and uncaring world. In general they present a far lower health risk to humans than do dogs and cats! They seem to have a naturally high level of immunity to most diseases. Example? Opossums are more resistant to rabies than any other mammal; cattle, goats, dogs, cats, sheep, and the ice cream man are far more susceptible to rabies!

1 comment: